Our poor little guy is sick today with croup. Croup is a respiratory virus, I had no idea what was going on. However, after a trip to Primary Children's ER and a two hour wait we got into the physician and were explained what it was.
Croup is a barking, harsh sounding, deep cough. I think the doctor explained it quite well, it is like breathing through an opening the size of a garden hose and then immediately going down to the size of a straw. It is a high pitched sound that swells up right next to the vocal cords. The cough is deep and sounds just like a barking noise.
Jack woke up at midnight and Adam could here him coughing and wheezing really hard. He immediately ran into jacks room and then came in to ours and woke me up. Really worried, we called the on call doctor, he advised us to go up to PCM. So, we packed him up and went up there...
They checked us in and they did a complete check over on Jack. He had no fever and wasn't acting like anything was bothering him.. until we woke him up and then he started coughing and wheezing. Immediately the nurse gave her prediction it was Croup. After they got him all examined they sent us out to the waiting room. They gave jack a mist while we were waiting and that seemed to help with keeping him calm. However to him, it was something new and really different, he kept grabbing for the mist and pulling on the tube. As it was soon approaching 2:30am, we hadn't been called back and we were getting tight on time, I unfortunately had to be to work by 3:30am.. so Adam did some talking and the physician came right out and talked with us.
To help with the swelling they would need to give him a "steroid" that would last for 3 days and calm down the swelling. We would continue to watch him and make sure he is breathing better and watching for a fever. They also told us some things to help if he gets some anxiety, the fresh air helps with the breathing and calms them down, so we were told to bundle him up and take him outside for 5 mins. However if it got worse then to come back of course.
After getting the medicine for him and having them give us some at home remedies. We felt much better.
I have to say though for Jack, he is such a tough baby, he wasn't whining or acting like anything was really bugging him. I guess that is what makes it hard to determine with him. He is such a happy baby, for the whole time at the ER he was smiling happy. We love him so much. For any of you that have children know how scary and how a million things go through the head when something is wrong. We are so grateful to start back on the road to recovery for him. Also, to have our minds at ease.
Feel better Jack, We love you!!!
5 comments:
How scary! I hope he feels better soon. Its hard to believe such a robust boy could be sick, huh? Get well soon Jack! :)
That's so scary! Especially when you have to go to the ER. I have been there before and it's the worst feeling ever to see your little guy sick. He really is a tough kid! I'm glad they were able to diagnose it and treat it. I hope he gets better soon!
aww..i hate hospital experiences.. there just memories that get pushed way back into my memory bank. But i'm glad Jack got to go home..it seems like such a happy baby...I would love to play with him!
That is always hard. I am so glad he is back on the road to recovery. Now only if you can be.
Bri, sorry it has been a while since i have read your blog and I didn't realize you guys had been THIS sick. I am so sorry. I hope he is doing better and yourself. He sure is growing up and is so so cute. Let me know when you need a good get out or even if I can bring you something. Love you guys
Post a Comment